Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 10

    Galle

    October 1, 2023 in Sri Lanka ⋅ ☁️ 28 °C

    We arrived in Galle in the early afternoon. After checking in to the Seagreen Guesthouse, we spent a pleasant afternoon exploring Galle.

    There is one Duran Duran film site in Galle, and that is the Amangalla Hotel. Scenes filmed at this hotel appear in all three of their Sri Lanka-based videos. Unfortunately, the Amangalla is a high end hotel with security at the front. We didn't feel comfortable going in, so we just took photos of the exterior. I doubt we would have been able to recreate any scenes there anyway, as we would have needed a four post bed with mosquito nets!

    This entry features scenes from within the fort. Overall, the vibe was friendly, artsy (but not overly so) and not overly touristy. It was nice to be in a walled city that the locals also enjoyed; the overall atmosphere reminded us of the Getsemani area in Cartagena.

    We enjoyed exploring the streets which were lined with churches and temples. As for meals, we were instantly drawn to the Hula Hula Cafe which had a mural of a dancer with a hula hoop. We ate dinner there on our first evening, and we enjoyed our first kottu of this trip at their rooftop dining area. I was surprised to find that Jeff really liked kottu.

    We liked our accommodation at the Seagreen Guesthouse. Our $23/night room opened out into a verandah, which in turn had a view of the eastern fort walls. I enjoyed sitting there watching the people walking past. We opted to eat breakfast at the guesthouse, and it was served to us on the verandah. Sadly, we were the only guests during our two nights there.

    The guesthouse dog, who was named Pilot, took a real shine to us and he hung out outside our door waiting for us to come out and interact with him. Pilot did have a bad habit of chasing cars, though. Apparently, he mostly chases white cars.

    https://www.atlasobscura.com/places/galle-fort
    Read more