Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 11

    Save A Prayer... For The Stilt Fishermen

    October 2, 2023 in Sri Lanka ⋅ 🌧 28 °C

    Duran Duran’s video for Save A Prayer (https://youtu.be/6Uxc9eFcZyM?si=2zrefUgQpngZMKZL) featured Sri Lanka’s famed stilt fishermen around the 2:00 mark. Nowadays, the fishermen are mostly there for show, extracting payment from tourists for photo opportunities. We snuck a few photos from a distance, and we chose not to reenact the scene from the video because we probably would have had to pay off all the fishermen in the area.

    After our covert photography session, we beat a quick retreat to Galle amidst dark clouds. Thanks to Ganatha’s skilled driving, we avoided most of the rain. The skies did open up along the way and we had to close the flaps to avoid getting wet.

    Back at Seagreen Guesthouse, we went out for an afternoon snack, then we retired to our verandah to hang out and watch the people walking along the fort walls. It rained on an off for the remainder of the day and evening.

    In the evening, we ventured out to dinner intending to dine again at Hula Hula Cafe. Unfortunately, they were closed. We ate at another restaurant where I had rice and curry and Jeff has pasta.
    Read more