Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 15

    Kandy

    October 6, 2023 in Sri Lanka ⋅ 🌧 25 °C

    After taking our leave from Roy's Villa, once again lucked out when we snagged a Uber ride to get us to Kandy. I groaned when the driver asked me to cancel the ride and pay him in cash, but I did so because I wasn't sure if we would find another ride. Our driver was from Colombo and he was heading home. The ride to Kandy took about two hours.

    After checking in at the Viyana Boutique Hotel by Kandy Lake, we sought out the Lonely Planet recommended Empire Cafe for lunch. There, we enjoyed lunch on the verandah, which was next to the entrance to the Temple of the Sacred Tooth.

    After lunch, we circumnavigated Kandy Lake. We especially enjoyed observing the ducks and the monitor lizards at the lake.

    In the evening, we walked a short distance to the Slightly Chilled Restaurant and Bar for food and drinks with Becky and Chris, whom we met at Roy's Villa, and their friends - a brother and sister duo named Charlie and Tracy - who were also traveling through Sri Lanka. We had an enjoyable time chatting and eating at the rooftop bar. There. we were treated to a fireworks display in the distance.
    Read more