Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 4

    Garden Island Ship Graveyard

    December 11, 2023 in Australia ⋅ ☁️ 26 °C

    Rain was again forecast for Monday, and so our plans revolved around driving and having easy access to shelter.

    Our first order of the day was brunch. Trixie drove us to a Malaysian-owned cafe in the eastern side of Adelaide specializing in croissants and pies. In addition to the traditional Australian pies, the owners experimented with fusion pie flavors such as beef bulgogi and chicken curry pies. The cafe also offered Malaysian chicken curry with roti prata and pappadum, which I gratefully tucked into.

    After lunch, we dropped Charles off at his bridge club and made our way to Port Adelaide. Back in 2017, we went there to visit the nearby Torrens Island Dolphin Sanctuary. This time, we made a return there because I discovered an Atlas Obscura site - a ship graveyard - near there. More info here: https://www.atlasobscura.com/places/garden-isla….

    As we drove towards the dolphin sanctuary, I spotted the ship graveyard. We looked for an access path, but we found none, so we had to be content with taking pictures from a distance. There were at least three rusting hulls, but they were hard to spot as they blended with the mangrove in the background.

    After that, we went to the dolphin sanctuary. Unfortunately, it was low tide and we didn’t see any dolphins. As we walked along the boardwalk, there was lightning and thunder in the far distance.
    Read more