Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 6

    To Jaipur the Pink City

    February 27, 2023 in India ⋅ ☀️ 31 °C

    After a terrible night not sleeping, we had breakfast outside up at the top of the tower watching the sun coming up.

    We headed to Jaipur by bus. Stopping at the Amber Fort just a little way from the Town. It is a huge complex on a hilltop, above Maota Lake. The reflexion on the water was impressive. 

    The path was a winding climb with vendors trying to interest us in their wares along the way. We had to avoid the huge piles of elephant dung, although they were quickly collected. The elephants plodded up and down the path, carrying those whose excitement at the idea of riding an elephant overcame their moral judgement. Adorned with painted nails and body paint, very unbecoming for such noble, intelligent creatures. 

    The Fort is very imposing. Made of the lighter sandstone, built in Rajput style.

    Inside the occupants had different areas for summer and winter, opposing each other. The summer Palace is on the sunnier side and is decorated with light and airy pale colours, walls are inlaid turquoise. Very cooling to the eye.  The walls and openings would have been draped with silks and lightly carpeted. 

    In the summer Palace their would be natural air flow to cool the building, and more natural sunlight. It also had a water channel flowing through it.

    The Winter Palace would be on the less sunny side and have thick woollen drapes and thick rugs on the floor. The area would have big fireplaces and be insulated with thick walls. It was decorated with mirrors to reflect any candlelight and light the place with minimal effort.

    Like all places we have visited health and safety is non existent. We climbed some very steep uneaven, crumbling steps to a roof to view the courtyard below.

    Later we visited a jewellery shop, we were shown the local semi precious stones before they were cut. The jewellery was all too fancy for our liking. It was a huge store and like other places we were given chai and samosas.

    Tony suddenly asked if we wanted Lassi and we all headed to a great place just round the corner. Lassi is a yoghurt drink which can be sweet and slightly spiced, fruity, mango is our favourite or salty. Locally served in rustic clay cups which are recycled into more of the same.

    Then onto our hotel and a short siesta before heading out to a Bollywood dance lesson at a rooftop bar that we were having dinner. This was so much fun. I was awful but really enjoyed it, James was much more coordinated than I.

    We idled the rest of the evening away, while watching kites flying, so high in the sky around us.

    We were wondering why we couldn't get on line and found out that the Internet had been shut down for the day. It was an exam day and they closed it so that no one could cheat!!
    Read more