Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 11

    Bijaipur

    March 4, 2023 in India ⋅ ☀️ 32 °C

    We didn't have to leave until 9.30 so breakfast was at 8. I slept well, the bed had a nicer, smooth duvet on where as most of the others have been very lumpy and felt like old blankets inside a cover.
    The lake looked beautiful in the morning light, with all the orange coloured flowers on the trees reflecting the light.
    A man with an alsation dog was fly fishing he was hoping to catch snakehead fish? He said with a big head and long body.

    We were picked up in the jeeps that we travelled in yesterday. Visiting a local farm to see what was being grown, was fun. We stopped to look at the crops in a small area, there was coriander and other herbs, garlic, onions, cabbage, chickpeas, and some crops for the cattle.
    We had seen enclosed netted off areas where they were growing poppies for medical companies to make opium. The companies know how much opium each area will produce so there is no room for error!
    The seed heads are scratched after the flowers have fallen, causing them to bleed a back liquid from which the drug is extracted
    If anyone is caught in possession they go to prison for 25 years with no trial.

    It is made by scratching the seed heads to bleed them of the black milk and collecting it. This is done when the poppies have flowered, and before the seeds dry out. It is weighed and a register is kept of the quantity of each yield.

    The lady whose plot we were looking at wasn't happy when one of us went into the netted area. She shouted and banged a stick on her pan that she was making her breakfast in.

    We then went on to the village where we were welcomed like celebrities. Everyone was smiling and waving to us and we saw some happy, smiling children and their families. They all wanted their photo taking, James took lots.
    We saw a lot of bantam like chickens here all scrabbling about in the dust.

    Then back to the jeeps and the bumpy Road and on to our next Heritage stay at Bijaipur.

    It was the most wonderful surprise to arrive at the castle Bijaipur. Built in early sixteenth century the Heritage property is owned by the local King whose family have lived there for thirteen generations.

    We were welcomed with a cold drink and cool flannels to wipe our hands. A garland placed round our necks. The gardens were very colourful and everything well kept, cut flowers floating in water around the pool area.

    Once again we had a beautiful room, with red bedding and a raised seating area infront of a window overlooking the courtyard. We were sitting drinking tea with the window open, I looked up to see a swarm of bees all around outside, heading for the window. Lucky I manage do close it just in time.

    The room had a dressing room and the bathroom was at the far end. The doorways were really low and there was also a step so I was convinced one of us would crash our head in the night but we didn't.

    James didn't feel well, he had a cold and sinus headache so just slept for the afternoon. I made the most of being able to relax, I had my hand henna painted. The girl who did it was very efficient, it took 5 minutes and she drew freehand. She drew four completely different ones payterns and they were all perfect.

    When the henna was set I had a swim, it was great to cool off in the lovely pool. I wasn't going to have a massage due to my fragrance allergy but Carol described the foot and lower leg massage she had and I was up for it.
    This was pure heaven, the masseuse knelt on the couch at my feet as she deeply massaged my calves, under my feet and ankles.

    Dinner was a buffet under the stars, it was a clear night. The food was brilliant, the best yet, slightly sweet, nutty, spicy dhal, mixed vegetables with peas and red carrots that have far more flavour than our orange ones. Split aubergines with spicy sauce, there are several different types of small aubergines here. Very long basmatti rice and spinach with potatoes
    Rice pudding flavoured with cardamon, pistachio and a tiny amount of dried fruit for desert.

    This is the sort of dishes we have had in many places, but this definitely had the most subtle fresh flavours.
    Read more