Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 12

    Udaipur (Alex's Birthday) City Palace

    March 5, 2023 in India ⋅ ⛅ 30 °C

    Before leaving the castle We asked everyone in the group and the staff to sing Happy Birthday to Alex. This was funny, everyone joined in heartily.

    We spoke to him for a few minutes to wish him well on his day.

    Setting off towards our next destination Udaipur which has one of the largest palaces in India. It was a long journey.

    We checked into our hotel, arriving by Tuktuk as the road was too narrow for anything wider. We swept people and several cows aside to clear our path. The hotel was not attractive from outside but OK within.

    Setting out for a walk led by Tony through the busy streets. Enthusiastic vendors trying to entice us to buy their wares.
    Miniature silk paintings, silver, and leather goods are the speciality here.
    We were warned that there were a lot of not so original items about and that prices could vary for the same things.

    The Palace was on the hill, and was impressive from first site. Several stories high, white and ornate with high balconies and windows. A stone Elephant guarded the entrance. We had a guide to show us around and enlighten us to the ancient history of the place. It had been the seat of the Mewar rulers since seventh Century.

    Once again the Palace was incredible, the carved stonework amazing. So much detail in blue stones, mirror work, stained glass, stunning intricate mosaics, beautiful murals on walls and ceilings. Depicting elephant battles, tiger and deer hunts and daily life hundreds of years ago. Unlike other places we have visited a small area was furnished to show how the women lived.

    Later we all went back to a rooftop bar where earlier we had drinks. We watched the sun go down over the lake.

    Then we went to an amazing tandoori restaurant. We sat under the stars and had an incredible meal. We thought we had ordered far to much as we both ordered dfferent tandoori chicken and a vegetable korma but it was so good we managed to devour most of it.

    This was very different from any other food we had eaten, we appreciated and enjoyed the different taste and texture of the food. The ambiance was great too.
    Read more