Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 26

    Day 24, Wednesday June 1

    June 1, 2016 in the United States ⋅ ☀️ 17 °C

    Avalanche, Glacier National Park

    Went to the park today. Started up the "To the Sun Road". Because we are early, a good portion of it is still shut down due to winter conditions so we only made it about 16 miles. Stopped at Avalanche and went for a hike. The first part is a trail that takes about 20 minutes mostly on a boardwalk through a forest of cedar trees. Off that there is a trail to Avalanche Lake. We climbed about 300 metres, taking just short of an hour to go about 2 miles. At the end of the trail where the lake is, you are at the base of mountains and you looking at several waterfalls on the face the mountains, quite a pretty sight. It took just a little less time to get back down. At the end of our day we had walked 8 miles. Had a fairly close encounter with a deer.

    Back at the parking lot we walked out onto the shore of the creek and had a picnic. We have a little butane camp stove with us so we took that out and had an Indian food lunch. I went for a wade in the creek. Cold, cold... but it reminded me of being a kid!

    Headed home after lunch. Paul and Jenia (Gina), our hosts had some friends over for the evening. It just so happens that people we know from Zihuatanejo are home for the summer. Amy and Levi are need greaters in Botswana and her parents, Jim and Nancy, are still in Zihuatanejo. Paul and Jenia's son and daughter in law and mother Pat were with us too. It was a very nice evening.
    Read more