Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 40

    Discovery Tours Bear Viewing Eco-Tour

    June 15, 2016 in Canada ⋅ ☀️ 8 °C

    We went out with Discovery Tours for a 2 hour tour (it was actually just a little short of 2 hours). We were 7 people including the driver. It was suggested by the manager that the morning tour (6am) and the evening tour (7:15pm) were the best ones for finding bear - we opted for the evening tour - there is another option of 4:45 (give or take half an hour).

    We didn't drive very far away from home, but far enough to find 3 bears to watch.

    The driver Aldo was from Australia. He came to Whistler for 6 months.....two years ago. Very enthusiastic and definitely entertaining. He has made an obvious effort to get to know the flora and fauna of the area as well as some entertaining folklore. We were driving in a Landrover 4x4. I think Aldo enjoyed tossing around in the cab of the truck, looking for ditches and potholes to drive through. And well he might, the truck was extremely comfortable and smooth despite the terrain.

    We spent maybe half the time looking for and watching the bears. The other half we spent off-road. We followed a small side road up the to the top of a small mountain for a very nice view, stopping to take a quick look at a picturesque water fall (Alexander Falls).

    We enjoyed the experience and were happy that we weren't skunked in our bear watching. I'm not entirely sure it is worth the $125 (tax included) price tag. But that is coming from people who grew up in BC and have had many opportunities to see bears over the years (just not in recent history).
    Read more