Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 26

    Day 22 - Safari day 3

    May 4, 2017 in Kenya ⋅ 🌫 7 °C

    Morning drive

    Out in time to see the sunrise again.  First thing on the agenda was to see if we could find a cheetah. We found four, however before that we spotted a lion and 2 cubs and then three tanaged male lions.  It was quite interesting to watch the prey (Thompson Gazelles mostly​) actually approach the lions... Better to know where your enemy is, I guess.

    On we went to the cheetahs. First we saw a lone female. Then, we saw another female and her two cubs. The cubs were approximately 9months old. (They will stay with their mother until 2 years old). We spent a couple of hours watching them. They appeared to be hunting, but all the game was very aware of their presence. The flies were quite awful so for breakfast we drove up onto a bluff where there was a stronger wind blowing. We went back to the cheetahs again and the guides we're hopeful we might see a hunt. As we watched the cats gets closer to the gazelles, 2 hyenas approached, probably thinking they had a kill that they could scavenge. The cheetahs weren't happy to have them around and told them so with snarls and teeth.  The hyenas managed to keep the cats from continuing the hunt, most likely because they knew the hyenas would simply take their meal away, being stronger and less skittish than the cheetahs.

    We started to head home for lunch.  On the way we met Hugo and Freddy - 2 40-year-old male elephants and watched them for awhile while zebras and a giraffe hung around in the background.

    We came back to camp in the land cruiser, left the truck and walked about 20 minutes to the "treehouse". The camp has built a bedroom, lounge area and toilet up in a tree overlooking the Mara River. We ate our lunch up there in the breeze while watching a herd of hippos bathing, resting, grunting and frolicking in the river. Back to camp about 2:30 for a G&T and a little rest.
    Read more