Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 37

    Day 34 - Elephant Orphanage - Barcelona

    May 15, 2017 in Kenya ⋅ ⛅ 20 °C

    We were up, dressed and in the Bethel dining room this morning before 7. It was nice to sit through a morning worship program and see how a large portion of our brothers and sisters live throughout the world.

    We changed and packed our suitcases and headed for the elephants. It was a little difficult to leave Bethel as Tom and Sherry kept coming across friends from their years there to visit with. However, out we got and we found traffic to be not terrible so we made it to the sanctuary on time. They only allow visitors between 11 and 12. They bring them out in two groups broken into smaller groups of about 4. The come out, get their bottle of milk and then are let to play for half an hour. The area is roped off and the spectators line up around the roped off area. The handlers make sure they move the elephants around the area so that everyone gets a closeup look and a little pet (dirty from rolling in the mud; sparse, stiff hair; roughish skin). The younger ones come first (12 months to 2 years old) and the older 3 year olds come out after they leave. They are still nursing, but their play is much more rambunctious and fun to watch.

    It's all over in an hour, but you feel your $5 is well worth the experience.

    We went for lunch to a lovely restaurant on the estate they used to film Out of Africa. I believe where we ate was the stable area. Again, another beautiful garden restaurant. Prices were more "out-of-Africa" prices, but still affordable.

    Tom and Sherry then dropped us off at the airport and here we sit until our flight for Zurich and then on to Barcelona.
    Read more