Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 5

    Oatman, Mohave Arizona

    June 5, 2012 in Australia ⋅ ☀️ 16 °C

    We headed off from LA towards Flagstaff and as we had a little spare time we decided to try and follow, as much as possible, the old Route 66. Unfortunately California has done very little to maintain the historical integrity of Route 66, but once across the state lines into Arizona, it was a different story.

    Arizona have obviously spent a lot more money towards keeping the history intact as it is still, for some, a great tourist journey. We decided to take the old route 66 in as many sections as possible, and boy are we glad we did. The scenery was absolutely amazing, and then we came around a bend by an old gold mine and came across Oatman. High up in the hills we came across this little town and what an incredible little town. Oatman is just as it was 150 years ago. Timber sidewalks, western shop fronts etc. Even all the old donkeys from the Gold Rush days are still around, or their descendants at least, and have made the town their home.

    It just blew our minds when we saw it, not to mention the mule that blocked the road out of town and wanted to meet us by sticking his head in the car window. Check all the picks in the Route 66 album.
    Read more