Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 4

    Burnt Cabins at Grist Mill. PA

    April 30, 2022 in the United States ⋅ ☀️ 12 °C

    Lovely campsite and spent some time exploring this morning. The original mill was built in the 1760’s.
    The mill has been refurbished a few times in its life, the latest being in the 1980’s and the mill still produces flour to make local products.
    The owner showed us around and gave us an interesting history of the name Burnt Cabins.

    Turns out in the 1700’s that the Indian lands were being occupied by original settlers against the Penn Land Treaties Act and built cabins etc in the wrong place and Built on Indian land and the government at that time was still the British. The Indians complained and the government would move the people on but then kept coming back again because there was cabins. The Indians tried again and said if the government did not do something about it they will, so the government then stepped in again and this time the Brits came in and just moved them along and burnt the cabins to the ground so there was nothing to come back to. Well it seems the Brits honoured their land acts with the Indians, shame the new republic did not.
    Read more