Satellit
Vis på kort
  • Dag 19

    Galapagos Favorite Pictures

    22. januar, Ecuador ⋅ ☁️ 28 °C

    The Galopagos Islands are situated about 600 miles west of mainland Ecuador in the Pacific Ocean. The archipelago consists of 21 major and minor islands. Located at the confluence of three ocean currents, the Galápagos are a ‘melting pot’ of marine species. Ongoing seismic and volcanic activity reflects the processes that formed the islands. These processes, together with the extreme isolation of the islands, led to the development of unusual animal life – such as the land iguana, the giant tortoise and the many types of finch – that inspired Charles Darwin’s theory of evolution by natural selection following his visit in 1835. The uniqueness of the islands prompted the Galapagos to be named an UNESCO World Heritage Site in 1978.

    Flights to the Galopagos only originate through Quito or Guayaquil Ecuador. We arrived January 16th, just in time to grab a last minute booking on a small locally operated cruise. We were so fortunate to have joined the Aida Maria and 14 other passengers exploring six different islands.

    We’re back on land staying a few more days exploring Santa Cruz Island and soaking up the sun. It’s hot and humid near the equator!
    Læs mere