Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 10

    Funchal, Madeira, Portugal

    September 2, 2023 in Portugal ⋅ ⛅ 70 °F

    Madeira, Portugal, often called the "European Hawaii," offers a European twist on tropical paradise. Like Hawaii, it boasts stunning landscapes, from volcanic peaks to lush gardens and a mild climate.

    Funcha, the capital of Madeira is a dynamic coastal gem, that graces the lush isle of Madeira in the Atlantic Ocean. Revered for its breathtaking natural allure, it harmoniously combines rugged mountains, beautiful gardens, and a gleaming waterfront. The charming old town of Funchal enchants with its cobbled lanes adorned by vivid houses, traditional markets, and cozy cafes. History enthusiasts can revel in its illustrious past, evident in museums and historic edifices. Thrill-seekers can traverse hiking trails, while gastronomes indulge in local cuisine and the world-famous Madeira wine. Funchal's perpetual mild climate makes it an irresistible haven for both relaxation and adventure.

    Driving in Madeira can be an adventurous experience due to its small lanes, steep rollercoaster terrain, and challenging parking situations. The island's roads often wind through hilly landscapes, with tight turns and narrow streets, making for thrilling and sometimes terrifying but demanding drives. Despite the driving challenges, the stunning landscapes and scenic routes on Madeira are worth the effort.
    Read more