Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 8

    Zagreb, Croatia

    September 24, 2023 in Croatia ⋅ ☁️ 59 °F

    On the way to Ljubljana, Slovenia we made a pit stop at the Upper Town of Zagreb, the capital of Croatia. Zagreb is known for its rich history, charming architecture, and vibrant cultural scene. The city is divided into Upper Town (Gornji Grad) with its historic core, featuring landmarks like St. Mark's Church, and Lower Town (Donji Grad) with bustling streets, parks, and museums. Zagreb offers a mix of old-world charm and modernity, making it a dynamic European city.

    Built between 1242 and 1266, the Stone Gate (Kamenita vrata) is one of Zagreb's most iconic landmarks. It's a historic city gate located in the Upper Town (Gornji Grad) of Zagreb, Croatia. The gate is unique because it's the only remaining medieval city gate of the original four that once protected the town.

    What makes the Stone Gate particularly special is the small chapel within it, dedicated to the Virgin Mary. According to local legend, in 1731, a devastating fire swept through Zagreb, destroying much of the city. The only thing left standing in the path of the fire was the Stone Gate, and within it, a painting of the Virgin Mary and baby Jesus. This event is considered a miracle and the site has since become a place of pilgrimage and devotion. Today, the Stone Gate and its chapel serve as a spiritual and historical symbol of resilience for the people of Zagreb. The gate is also a popular stop for visitors exploring the city's historic quarter.
    Read more