Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 26

    Sandgate / Brisbane

    September 30, 2017 in Australia ⋅ ☀️ 30 °C

    This weekend is a bank holiday weekend and pretty special for many sports fans - Saturday evening is the Aussie Rules football final between the Adelaide Crows and Richmond Tigers (2.30 pm), Sunday is the Aussie Football (Rugby) League final between Melbourne Storm and North Queensland Cowboys (9.15 am), then Monday is a bank holiday for the Queen's Birthday - take note Britain!!! Many think though this actually means that many people can recover from hangovers and travelling back from the sports events rather than missing work on Monday due to them!! The Richmond Tigers won the Aussie rules game decisively beating the Adelaide Crows 108 - 60 - they have been waiting for 37 years to win this event!!
    This evening most of us are heading to River Fire in Brisbane This weekend marks the 20th Sunsuper Riverfire. Ken tells us that the jets have been practicing their fly pasts over the last two days and scaring the locals by flying so low - this is their debut flight! To commemorate the milestone there will be about 20 minutes of fireworks, a mix of retro music from 1998 to today Riverfire is Brisbane and Queensland’s largest annual public celebration and the fourth-largest annual fireworks show in Australia. This year there will be 11 tonnes of fireworks, which will be fired from six barges, two pontoons, high-rise buildings and the Story Bridge. It all kicks off at 7pm and will be held at the South Bank Cultural Forecourt, but there are several viewing areas around the city to watch the display. Clare took Hana, Sarah and I to the side of Story Bridge where we could see those on the bridge itself, as well as further down the river and on the buildings along the river. The start of the display was signified by the jet fly past and then Bang!!! Sarah took some amazing pictures as she has a faster shutter speed and a fireworks setting.
    Read more