Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 49

    Marree - Oodnadatta track - Coober Pedy

    April 12, 2022 in Australia ⋅ ☀️ 34 °C

    Left Wilpena and booked in for a stay at Coward Springs, a small date farming station on the Oodnadatta track near William creek. On our way we’ve realised the van fridge wasn’t cooling while we drove, not sure of the cause but definitely a problem for free camping. Change of plans and we stayed in Marree trying to work out the problem. We didn’t have much luck there so we decided to hit the road and head to Coober Pedy, hoping in a bigger place would find more help.

    The corrugation and 8 hr drive took quite a toll on the van (see some photos). No wonder we’d not seen many caravans on the road (it also only just opened up after all the floods in the earlier months). We definitely learned a few lessons from the Oodnadatta.

    We loved Coward Springs. The new owner dropped his harvesting work and came to serve us some date ice cream and sweets.

    William Creek, quick wedges at the outback roadhouse and off for the final (and longest) 2 hr stretch past the infamous dog fence and the flattest scenery we had so far seen (Mad Max filming). Finally, we made it to Coober Pedy!

    Night spent in caravan park cabin, so we can clean up the mess in the van and a short dip into the refreshing swimming pool. A big 24hrs and quite stressful for Andy who wanted us all be safe.
    Read more