Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 178

    Perth and Fremantle

    August 19, 2022 in Australia ⋅ ⛅ 17 °C

    We stayed in Big4 Midland for 5 nights.

    The first 2 were the rainiest, windiest and coldest we had on our travels. The girls read hundreds of Harry Potter pages and we caught up on some shopping. Andy visited his mate, the owner of another Muay Thai gym. It was refreshing.

    When the sunny days returned we ventured outdoors and enjoyed the nearby Swan Valley. What a gem! So many wineries, cideries, distilleries, meaderies; fresh produce, coffee roasters and huge pastures with grazing farm animals. But for the girls, Swan Valley will be remembered for the Cuddly Animal Farm! SEE NEXT FOOTPRINT

    We also checked out the awesome Gravity Discovery Centre in Gingin, where we booked for a night tour of the star filled skies and looked through several impressive telescopes. We also climbed up and had some fun experimenting on the Gravity Tower . The astrophysicist guides were extremely knowledgeable and passionate about the space and we learned a whole heap about our sun, super novas and and how some are predicted to turn into massive diamonds; the Milky Way and other far away galaxies, the crazy amount of lightyears to look back to and of course, the unimaginable googolplex. It was 8 degrees and we were absolutely freezing but lasted till the very end to look through the largest of the telescopes to see the Saturn in its full beauty. It was mind blowing. Saturn was just like a glow in the dark sticker Millie has in her bedroom, so bright and beautiful, hardly believable to be real.

    The next day we relocated and parked up in our friends driveway (Ben & Kaitlyn from Melbourne); later Andy hung out with Ben and some others at a fight show and had a great night out. We then moved to a park south of Fremantle where we one more time enjoyed the company of Mon and Kaine (& fam). On Sunday afternoon we caught up with Mici, my high school friend and her lovely family, which was super special!
    Read more