Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 46

    The center of Santiago

    December 22, 2019 in Chile ⋅ ☀️ 28 °C

    Our flight back to Santiago was leaving at 10:07 and 3.5 hours later we arrived in a very different climate. Suddenly it was summer. This time we decided to be brave and booked accommodation in the center of the city. This was totally not driven by price and availability. We originally wanted to join a free guided tour, but since we arrived a bit too late for this we went to nearby park instead. With a funicular we went up Cerró San Cristóbal. From there we had a very nice view over the huge city of Santiago. Walking a bit around made us sweat quite a bit and we really needed an ice cream which turned out so big it was tricky to finish - but nonetheless very tasty.

    Afterwards we took the cable car to go a bit further and get some other views of the city. We also walked a bit through some Chilean garden before it was time to head back. Back at the hostel we realized that we were missing 380 pesos (which is like 50 cents) to be able to pay our taxi to the airport. The hostel personnel was kind enough to help us out so that we didn't need to find an ATM without transaction fees on our last evening.

    Finding a cheap and non-party place for dinner turned out difficult but we managed and had some last typical Chilean meal. There were no protests that evening but we were still warned by hostel personnel to not go near a certain square.
    Read more