Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 113

    Camping safari

    February 27, 2020 in Australia ⋅ ☀️ 16 °C

    After a good night's rest in Beaufort we continued our way west towards the Grampions. On the way we did some cheap grocery shopping at the Aldi in Ararat, and not too long after we arrived in Halls Gap. Here we had the choice between a free camping further south, or stay near Halls Gap. The positive reviews for a camping near the town convinced us enough to stay. We ended up on a fantastic spot on the edge of the campsite with nice nature next to it. We spotted some cockatoos and other birds while doing some much needed laundry.

    There's many hiking options in the Grampions, and for today we set out to do a small hike to the so called 'balconies'. The views on the way were already nice, with some cool rock formations. Getting to the balconies viewpoint, it was ruined a bit by other tourists climbing over fences illegally and spoiling the view for the rest, but it was still nice.

    Coming back from the hike, we checked how our laundry was doing. There wasn't much sun but the wind was trying its best. Then when walking to our camper spot we suddenly saw a new kind of animal crossing the road... kangaroos! 😊. Initially we were a bit careful from a distance, but we soon realized these guys were pretty tame and used to the attention. They spent the rest of the day feeding and looking around on the campsite. While we were enjoying watching them, a fellow camper let us know there were some deer and emu's at the other side of the campsite. We couldn't get as close to them as to the kangaroos, but it was still cool. At our camper there were loads of sulphur-crested cockatoos flying around, and later we also saw some long-billed corella cockatoos right next to our camper.
    Read more