Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 114

    The Pinnacle

    February 28, 2020 in Australia ⋅ ☁️ 16 °C

    In the morning the Internet was working on the camping (it didn't the previous day). So we made use of that for our blog and some van research as we hadn't booked anything despite the flight to Perth yet. We also took a shower in a heated and modern sanitary block. So that was very nice.

    Our plan for the day: hiking in the Grampions. The hike was a loop of about 8km, with a 450 meter height difference. After 1km we had a lunch break at the Venus baths. They weren't as impressive as Cleopatra's pools in the Abel Tasman National Park but nonetheless not a bad lunch spot. The rest of the walk went through some narrow gorges, a section called the 'Grand Canyon' and by some narrow caves. Ultimately we reached the viewpoint, called 'the pinnacle' which basically a view of the entire Halls Gap valley. We could spot the town and our campsite of last night. It was very cool. A music festival just about started when we were on top of the cliff, and from there we could listen to it at a respectable volume.

    Being back at the car park, we decided it was really time to book a van in Perth. We called Britz, the supplier we favoured, just to hear that they were sold out for our dates. That was quite a shock as it made us realize that all these agencies apparently just look like they have vans from all suppliers available but in reality they only display them and once you book still need to check with the supplier if that's actually possible. It was also getting late and with all the kangoroos we didn't want to drive in the dark. We decided we had to go but because we don't have Internet in the forest, we needed to continue to the next town with a free campsite. About 60 km further we arrived in Dunkeld, ordered 2 pizzas and made a request for the same type of van we have now at Traveller's Autobarn via a German agency. Fingers crossed that this is actually available and we can do our road trip as intended. We parked at a stop next to the highway to eat the pizza and spend the night.
    Read more