Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 18

    Covelo's Magic P3

    July 25, 2017 in the United States ⋅ ☀️ 26 °C

    We had a super lazy, wonderful morning. We finally got around to breakfast around 11:30 and the eggs were delicious - as was the local Covelo bacon. Ray was delightful as ever and it was fun to (literally) bump heads with him over and over.

    Debbie started the siren call of "stay another day...". How we wanted to! The kids did for sure and I was sorely tempted. Covelo is so beautiful and charming. I could feel time and space warp under me from the pull of both Covelo's gravity and family love.

    But mean old dad said we had a plan and should stick to and should push on.

    So we drove to town in Emily's car. There was a wonderful moment I didn't catch on camera when one of the horses escaped through a gate we had opened to pass through. Emily jumped out of the car but left the car in drive so after a funny moment of head flipping hesitation she jumped in the car (which was slowly rolling off the road), put it in park and ran back to cut off the horse. She got past it and hooted and hollered at it until it started back towards us. In the meantime, the kids and I had The wherewithal to close the gate just in time to cut off the dappled grey trying to make the same escape. The two horses pushing past and around us as we opened the gate for Emily's offender impressed the kids and me with their size and power. "Horses are scary" Samantha commented after - but agreed they were sweet too.

    After that we saw the very fine town library and then the awesome radio station! Franklin recorded a station ID and his voice will now echo across Round Valley in rotation with the other versions. So in that way, as well as others, we left a bit of ourselves in Covelo.
    Read more