Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 23

    Hello Delhi!

    April 26, 2023 in India ⋅ ☁️ 82 °F

    We are staying at another lovely hotel, this one being conveniently situated in New Delhi close enough to Old Delhi. After we got situated we took a walk to a nearby area of markets and shops called Connaught Place where we were planning find a place to eat dinner. We ended up also enjoying a walk around a lovely park called Central Park that was created in the hub where several large streets meet.

    On our way out of the hotel we ended up chatting with the concierge for a while about tour ideas for Delhi and beyond. The disappointing thing we learned is that the Taj Mahal is not open for night viewing during the full moon in the first week of May, which I’d really been hoping to experience. After talking with him, we were contemplating hiring a driver for a couple days to visit at least one nearby city.

    On our walk three different people ended up telling us that we should visit one of the tourist centers if we wanted to set up any tours, because you pay a big mark-up doing anything through the hotels. When our tuk-tuk (rickshaw taxi!) driver after dinner encouraged us to get a free map from on of the centers, we decided to go in and check it out.

    I’m excited to say that we now have an INCREDIBLE itinerary lined up for our last 10 days in India thanks to this tour operator. The next two days are guided day tours in Old and New Delhi, and then we will travel to four cities slightly further afield from Delhi for guided visits (including a boat trip on the Ganges!) - heading out on this adventure by plane and back by train!! We are super excited to have the last part of our trip all planned out and packed full of sights to visit.

    When our tuk-tuk driver this evening learned that Eric had driven a rickshaw 3500+km, he couldn’t believe it. He proceeded to let Eric drive his rickshaw the last block or so back to our hotel! 🤣🤣🤣🛺💨
    Read more