Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 13

    The “mighty” Robberg

    November 18, 2023 in South Africa ⋅ ☀️ 30 °C

    We started our day with a breakfast under blue sky and already quite hot sun. People went swimming in the lagoon…we were tempted too but had planned to visit the Robberg Nature Reserve next to Plettenberg Bay. The place was already very busy as it was Saturday as well and we could hardly park our van. We started and were first surrounded by plenty of people, also groups! But after the The Gap (smallest loop) and the Whitsand second turnoff, where our way headed towards “The Point” only few (brave) people continued. Along the entire Nort Side of the Peninsula we past above houndreds of seals. Their noise and smell was very present. Most of them were swimming in the crystal green sea and others were just hanging around on the shore. That’s where the name Robberg comes from.
    At the most eastern point (at the end) we were lucky to see two whales passing by. They were showing their fins and made us happy!
    The tricky part of the path started now. Down and up, down and up and down again. Amazing nature but quite exhausting and hot. We climbed rocks and stairs and sandy pathes until we finally reached the beach. Shoes off and right into the sea…it was great to cool down. The air was hot, the water cool. The last part back to the car park was again up and down and we were quite exhausted back at our van! But it was worth it.
    We continued our journey to a beautiful place called Buffalo Bay. A remote place with surf beaches and holidays homes. The campsite had the prime spot at the end of the Peninsula - we were surrounded by the ocean. We enjoyed the view and spent some time around our campfire while listening to the waves!
    Read more