Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 19

    We found Penguins & The Cape

    November 24, 2023 in South Africa ⋅ ☀️ 24 °C

    In the morning, we first secured 2 other nights in our camping. Camping closer to Cape town are non existant and we felt that our camping was in a good safe (wealthy) neightbourhood - moreover, we can just walk to the beach.
    Then, with Jay-Jay the travelbox, we left to see the colony of African penguins in Boulders beach. This was our second encounter with bus loads of tourists- this beach not being far from Cape Town, it is a favourite excursions for tour operators. One wonders if we are watching the penguins or if its the penguins that watch us. They were cute though, they choose a mate for their whole life and bring branches for their nest.
    After Boulders, the next must-do: Cape of the Good Hope (cap de bonne espérance). You have to queue to get a picture of you and the sign- crazy time!
    We went up the hill for a good view, then drove to the visitor centre and walked to Cape Point Lighthouse. Africa most southwesterly point. We also walked a trail to the “old” lighthouse (except you cannot walk to it completely). Spectacular views over False Bay and the Atlantic coast, but once again, no whales!
    We drove back along the scenic westcoast to our campsite and ended the day by a walk on the beach, admiring both surfers and dogs. The waves were quite formidable but the water freezing cold (Klaus didn’t enjoy the waves for long).
    We also secured a guide to hike table mountain for the next day as we heard that there were some security concerns- and it is also better with a guide in terms of experience. As our guide was picking us at 05:00 we went to bed early.
    Read more