Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 20

    Hiking an iconic mountain

    November 25, 2023 in South Africa ⋅ ☀️ 23 °C

    4:30 am alarm clock - that is the small price to pay if you want to hike Table Mountain. We negotiated with our guide a pick up at the campsite as driving with Jay Jay and parking it was a challenge.
    By 6:13, after crossing the city where traffic was building up, we were ready to start the hike. There are hundreds of way to go up the mountain but we let our tour guide choose: she advised to go for India Venster way as the views are spectacular and it is less crowded than the other trails. We hesitated a bit- the hike is classified as difficult as there are a few scrambling passage and metallic ladder and chain to grasp. So you need a head for heights!
    The hike was actually easier than thought and scrambling up the rocks was great fun. Along the way, Yvette our guide, gave us plenty of information about the plants - we even saw a mountain goat. We did 700 m of elevation and reached the top at 10:00. plenty of people already were there thanks to the Swiss- made gondola.
    After the hike, Yvette dropped us in the waterfront and we had our first view of the city center. We had lunch, walked around a bit but then decided to head back to the camping to relax after such a wonderful hike.
    Read more