Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 5

    5. Day Nikosia (Trip to Larnaka) I

    August 29, 2022 in Cyprus ⋅ ☀️ 32 °C

    On day 5, we decided to take a trip to Larnaka. The city is known for its beautiful beaches. It is also home to the international airport of Cyprus. We rented a car for 4 days the morning before the trip, costing about 140 € small car segment and also had to pick it up from the airport. We had planned the trip anyway, so we could do two things in one trip.

    Fun Fact: As Cyprus was a British mandate for a long time and there are still two British military bases in Cyprus, the cars drive on the left side according to the English model. Tricky, but worth the experience! ;)

    So we first visited the beach and then walked through the old Turkish quarter to the Lazaruz church, which is definitely worth a visit.

    Afterwards, we ate at a Lebanese snack bar not far from the church. Manakesh was not original, but the zata mixture was authentic and falafel. I am actually very sceptical about falafel that is not made in Lebanon, but these were the best I have eaten outside Lebanon so far. The restaurant was called Zatar. :)

    After dinner, we walked along the Promenda and had a look at the big salt lake of Larnaka, which is not far from the airport.

    But for the last 3 km we took a taxi because it was hot as hell. From the airport we were picked up by shuttle bus and driven to the car rental.

    Info: You are not allowed to drive to the Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus with a rental car. There are probably insurance problems.

    Due first drive was exhausting, but I had a good co-pilot. Of course, we arrived home safely without an accident.
    Read more