Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 6

    6. Tag Nikosia (Vine Tour) I

    August 30, 2022 in Cyprus ⋅ ☀️ 31 °C

    On the 6th day of our trip, we decided to go on a wine tour through the Troodos Mountains. Theresa had researched and put together a route for us. It consisted of historical, beautiful villages and wineries with first class wine.

    Our stop was Kolossi where there is a historic 13th century castle. The castle was interesting for the tour because Commandaria wine was made there.

    History:
    The castle was of great strategic importance for the administration of southern Cyprus and also served as a storehouse for sugar, one of Cyprus' most important exports in the Middle Ages. The original castle was probably built in 1210 by Frankish troops. The land was given to the Knights of the Order of St John by King Hugh III. From 1306 to 1310, the Templars were the owners of the castle under the usurped rule of Amalrich, before it reverted to the Knights of St John.

    During the Third Crusade, Richard the Lionheart conquered Cyprus and married Berengaria, the daughter of Sancho VI of Navarre. At the wedding, Commandaria is said to have been served and expressly pledged by Richard. After the fall of Akkos and the Johannite commandery there, the Knights of St John established a commandery (French: commanderie) in Kolossi, about 20 kilometres north of Limassol. In 1306, Kolossi Castle belonged to the Knights Templar, who established their new headquarters here, the Great Commanderie, which was later taken over by the Knights of St John after the Knights Templar were banned and dispossessed. The name of the area and the wine produced there comes from the word "commanderie".
    Read more