Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 47

    The way to Leon - Nicaragua

    January 3, 2023 in Nicaragua ⋅ ☀️ 32 °C

    Honduras holds most of it`s charming spots in the north of the country. So crossing from El Salvador on the way to Nicaragua, thefrogandthebike pass by just one highlight. One of the most famous buildings of the country is the lovely bridge of Choluteca, which is a small replica of the Golden Gate bridge guiding the traffic into town when entering over the Rio Grande o Choluteca. Thefrogandthebike spend the night at a Hotel with a view on the bridge before heading to the Nicaraguan border in the morning.

    Entering Nicaragua costs us less than 3 hours of time, which is a lot faster than the average traveller with a foreign plated vehicle needs. A stay in Leon immediately rewards the efforts to come here. The frog assistants - at least one of them unenthusiastic about hiking - can`t resist to finally go for one of the less exhausting and freezing, but still most beautiful volcano hikes in latin america: the smoking crater of Telica.

    After limited culinary experiences in El Salvador and Honduras, the restaurants in Leon are making amends with amazing dishes in humble backyards. The architecture of Leon is similar to the one of Antigua. Only the bumpy cobble stone roads have been replaced with asphalt. The sunsets can best be viewed from the white roof of the cathedral, as well as several roof top locations across town.
    Read more