Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 49

    Ometepe - La isla bonita

    January 5, 2023 in Nicaragua ⋅ ☀️ 31 °C

    The next stop in Nicaragua is the beautiful Island of Ometepe.
    It gets it`s unique charm by consisting of two Volcanoes located in the middle of a lake.

    This spectacular site offers a variety of activities to do and things to discover.
    Thefrogandthebike tour around the "isla bonita", passing banana plantations on the foot of the volcanoes, growing around surrealistic black rocks randomly spit out by the crater a long time ago.
    The locals observe thefrogandthebike rolling by with a wide grin in their faces.
    With a scene of expats living in the island, there is a culinary diversity that can also be found in the traded foods and goods on the local market on saturdays.
    The north west shores of the island have a season of constant winds, that allows kite surfing. Since this year the rain season has been stronger than usual, the sandy beach is entirely flooded.
    So the kite session starts with a climb through the trees directly into the water with all the equimpent, readily set up by the side of the road.

    A late kayak trip into a flooded river estuary at sunset is the frogs personal highlight of the island visit.
    Read more