Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 24

    Downtown and Little Italy

    December 7, 2017 in the United States ⋅ ☀️ 16 °C

    We had planned to revisit Haight Ashbury and the Castro today, but I had a bad night last night and am still not feeling 100%, so we decided to stay downtown and just wander around the streets. We decided to get Angus a Daniel Wellington watch for his birthday, and there is a store downtown, so we visited the store and Angus chose a watch. He really likes watches, and is getting a bit of a collection.

    We then headed up Grant and Kearny, and made our way to the City Lights Bookstore where we bought a couple of books. Afterwards, we walked up Stockton to Tony's Pizza, and decided to have lunch there as it had been recommended to us by Charles our tour guide, and others, as a great place for pizza. It was delicious. They have about six ovens - wood fired, coal fired and convection in a range of sizes. Tony has also won the world championships for his Margherita in Naples, and he only makes 73 of these each day. We were fortunate to be able to order one. The reason he only makes 73 a day is that he uses a special flour, and one box of this flour produces enough dough for 73 pizzas.

    We then headed back to our hotel for some R & R via the Blue Bottle cafe for a coffee - well worth the detour. Tonight we had dinner at Cafe de la Presse, a French restaurant, which was very nice. When we got back to the hotel, we Skyped the grand parents so they could wish Angus happy birthday and I think they were both happy they got to speak with him.
    Read more