Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 5

    Meandering around London

    September 8, 2019 in England ⋅ ⛅ 11 °C

    This morning we headed out fairly early to make the most of what was to be a mostly sunny day. We headed to the underground to make our way back down to the Thames, and got off at Mansion House Station. We were too early for our tour of the Globe Theatre, so we made our way up to St. Paul’s Cathedral - which is quite impressive in terms of size and sound of the bells chiming.
    We then headed across the Thames via the Millennium Bridge, and went for a walk up to the Borough Market at Southwark, but unfortunately it wasn’t open on Sunday. On the way we saw Ray Martin being interviewed, further along we passed the Clink, an old prison which is now a museum. It operated from the 12th century until 1780. Next to the Clink prison are the ruins of the Winchester Palace - the ruins are all that remain of the palace of the powerful Bishops of Winchester, one of the largest and most important buildings in Medieval London. We also passed a replica of the Golden Hinde, the first English ship to circumnavigate the globe between 1577 - 1580, captained by Sir Francis Drake. We pottered around the area and explored the narrow streets and alleyways, and came across a lovely little coffee shop called The Gentlemen Baristas (really just slightly bigger than a hole in the wall) where we had the best coffee I have had so far this trip, It was delicious.
    Read more