Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 8

    The Vaults - Waterloo

    September 11, 2019 in England ⋅ ⛅ 20 °C

    Fabian then took us on a double decker bus ride from Chelsea to Waterloo Station, where we were going to see a wonderful display of street art and graffiti. The art is in the Leak Street Tunnel under Waterloo Station and is referred to as the Vaults. This area became a place for graffiti artists to come and paint as a result of Banksy. The area use to be disused and dangerous, it had been a small tunnel and roadway that was used by taxis to circle up to Waterloo Station to collect fares. In the mid-2000’s traffic was rerouted and it was closed off to traffic. In 2007, Banksy and some other street artists starting using the space, and over time more and more came to paint. It became a popular site, they installed lighting, and it has continued to be used by street artists for the past 12 years.

    There was some wonderful work in the tunnels. Unfortunately, the area is being gentrified, and Fabian said it is only a matter of time before a bunch of retail stores open up in the arches that lead off the tunnel. There is already a funky Vietnamese restaurant, and Fabian said they have changed the name from The Leake Street Tunnel to the Leake Street Arches. Fabian said it won’t be long before he takes this destination off his tour route.
    Read more