Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 15

    Exploring Brussels

    September 18, 2019 in Belgium ⋅ ⛅ 10 °C

    We started the day with a nourishing breakfast at a lovely cafe - Le Pain Quotidien - located in the Gallerie de la Reine (we are practically neighbours). Ian had scrambled eggs and bacon, and I had their special Quotidien breakfast, which included a soft boiled egg, apple juice, coffee, bread and a croissant. It was delicious, but I couldn’t eat all the bread. We then headed off to the supermarket to pick up some supplies. On our way back to the apartment, Ian located the Fontaine de Jeanneke-Pis (little girl pissing) - a companion to Manneken-Pis - which was installed down a laneway, and not the easiest to find.

    After dropping off our supplies (climbing up 3 floors of steep steps), we headed out to the Grand Place, Brussels’ central square, which is literally 200 metres from our apartment. We walked around and took some lovely snaps before heading off in search of Manneken-Pis, a bronze statue of a boy urinating into a fountain basin (it is Dutch for Little Pissing Man). The one on the street is a replica of the original statue that was designed by Hiëronymus Duquesnoy the elder, and was installed in 1619.The original statue is kept in the Museum of the City of Brussels, and is the best known symbol of the people of Brussels and also embodies their sense of humour. Today it was dressed in a costume.
    Read more