Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 19

    Day in Transit

    September 22, 2019 in Spain ⋅ ⛅ 21 °C

    Today we left Brussels for Malaga, and most of the day was spent travelling. We left the apartment about 10am, and headed for the Central Station to catch a train to Zaventem airport. It was Car Free Sunday in Brussels today, and so only buses and taxis were allowed into Brussels, even Uber was not allowed. The station was full of people, which surprised me for a Sunday morning, but not only was it car free Sunday, train travel was a reduced price to anywhere in Brussels (except the airport!). A very helpful staff member assisted us with getting the correct ticket and we then made our way to the platform. The train was running a little late and we had 10 minutes to wait, when an announcement came over the loudspeaker to advise a change in platform, which meant we had to take our bags up and down stairs to get to the correct one, which we did with perhaps a couple of minutes to spare!

    The trip to the airport was about 20 minutes. We then had to find our airline (TUI) and drop off our bags, as we had already checked in on line (Ian has become very proficient with on-line check-ins using his phone!). We then had a bit of time till our flight, so we grabbed some lunch, and I got myself some Jo Malone fragrance duty free.

    Our flight was on time, and we landed in Malaga about 4.30 pm. The weather here was quite warm (29C), but not too humid, which is good. We collected our bags (much quicker than in Germany!). We then grabbed a taxi, and let our hosts know we were on our way. Gary and Ralph - two English guys who now call Malaga home, and have done so for the past 17 years - have 2 apartments in Malaga, and live in the hills behind Malaga. They settled us in, and then left us to our own devices. They provided us with a number of recommendations for dinner, which no doubt we will make use of.
    Read more