Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 26

    Sunday afternoon in Lisbon

    September 29, 2019 in Portugal ⋅ ☀️ 25 °C

    After lunch, we headed off to explore the local area. We found the waterfront, and on the way a huge square called Praça do Comércio. We then walked along the waterfront for a bit, but decided to head back towards a huge arch - Arco da Rua Augusta - and walked along the streets with all the crowds that are out and about on a sunny Sunday afternoon. There was also a huge cruise ship docked yesterday, which obviously increases the numbers for a day or so. As we were making our way back to the apartment, we came across a group emerging from a manhole in the street. This is a tour that takes you under Lisbon, and had been recommended to me by a Portuguese driver I had in Melbourne. When I looked into doing it, I found they only run on Sundays, and we arrived too late to do it. Looked like a lot of fun, so hopefully when we come back we can make sure we are in town for a full Sunday.

    Since we had a substantial meal at lunch, we decided to buy some meat and cheese and bread from a local Store and eat in. We also had a bottle of red that was left by our hosts which needed drinking! We also stopped and picked up a small box of pastel de nata for dessert. I have access to Netflix here, so I also started watching this Spanish series called Seige with English subtitles. It is really good, so will try to fit in a few more episodes before Friday when we leave.
    Read more