Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 30

    Lunch at Time Out Market

    October 3, 2019 in Portugal ⋅ ⛅ 20 °C

    As we found the bus quite easy to use, we decided we would return with it as well. We didn’t know the route past where we had got on, but hoped it would take us close to the Time Out Market, where we were heading for an early lunch. Unfortunately, not far after our place the bus turned right and headed towards the Baixa Chiado district, so we hoped off at the next stop and then walked the remainder of the way to the markets, which was about a kilometre.

    I had read up about some of the Michelin Star chefs who have stalls at the market, so we decided on something from chef Miguel Castro e Silva. We started with a lovely glass of rosé, and a cheese platter that came with bread and pumpkin jam - delicious. Next we tried a cod croquet, a chicken empanada and a mushroom pie - all were tapas size, and also very yummy. As you sit at shared tables at the market, it is quite easy to start chatting to people sitting close by. On this occasion, we started chatting to a lovely couple from Rotterdam as we finished our lunch. We had planned to have something else to eat from another chef, but were satisfied with what we had already eaten.

    We next caught a tram back towards Belém to go to the Banksy Exhibition - Genius or Vandal? It was a fabulous exhibition, held at the Cordoaria Nacional. Apparently, Banksy has now blacklisted the city of Lisbon as no-one asked him if it was ok to go ahead with the exhibit. It might be a bit difficult to ask for permission when Banksy does all he can to remain anonymous.

    We then walked back to the LX Factory, so that we could look around without being as rushed as we had been on the previous day. There are some great stores in the complex, with more individual styles. I got a great pair of earrings, and some hand cream made by a local Lisbon company since 1912. There is also some wonderful street art around the complex, and some interesting art installations. A really fun place to hang out.

    We caught a bus back to the Time Out Market, and picked up a snack to have tonight, as we don’t need a full on dinner. We then walked back home - we didn’t clock up as many steps as yesterday, as we made more use of public transport, but still exceeded 13,000 steps. This evening we just relaxed, caught up on my blog, and started packing as tomorrow morning we catch the train to Coimbra.
    Read more