Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 31

    Adios Lisbon, Hello Coimbra

    October 4, 2019 in Portugal ⋅ ⛅ 18 °C

    Today we travelled to Coimbra by train. We didn’t need to leave for the station until about 10am, so we had a fairly relaxing morning. We went out for breakfast to one of the local cafés recommended by our hosts. The café was called Basilio, and they do absolutely delicious food. I had the açai bowl with fruit and granola, and Ian had scrambled eggs with shredded bacon and a ‘breakfast’ salad - it was all great and their coffee was top notch.

    We climbed the four floors to our Lisbon ‘nest’ for the final time after breakfast to finish packing, and then headed down to the metro to get the train to Coimbra. It all went pretty well, except for us accidentally buying ferry tickets instead of metro tickets, and wasting 6 Euros! A helpful station attendant assisted us to buy the correct ticket.

    Once at Oriente train station, we found the right platform and then just had to wait for our train. The trip was uneventful, and we arrived in Coimbra on schedule, and caught a cab to our apartment where we were met by our host. It is a lovely apartment in the old town, very close to the University, and only one flight of stairs!

    The host left us a welcome pack including meat, cheese, bread, wine and fruit, which was lovely. We had some lunch in the apartment and then headed out to explore Coimbra.
    Read more