Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 35

    Porto - first impressions

    October 8, 2019 in Portugal ⋅ ⛅ 20 °C

    Love it, love it, love it. This place is gorgeous, full of life and colour and history, and the tiles, the tiles are magnificent. I used to love an old or interesting door, but I think the tiles of Portugal, and particularly Porto, have captured my attention more so.

    After unpacking and admiring the view from our balcony for a while, we went out to explore the local area. We walked along the waterfront, took detours down winding and narrow streets, and just enjoyed the ambience of the area. We decided to get a Porto Card, which includes a transport card, so we headed off to find the Tourist Information Centre with the ’assistance’ of google maps! The only down side of our location is that most places you go on foot involve steep inclines and steps, and we encountered much of both as we weaved our way up, down and around - sometimes Google maps seems to take you on the most difficult and indirect route possible. We eventually made it to the Tourist office (located in about the highest spot in Porto), bought our tickets and, I must admit, we were afforded some wonderful views as the sun was setting over Porto.

    We ended up stopping at a restaurant on the way back to the apartment called Português de Gema - projeto de economia social, which was a restaurant that is not for profit social project that reintegrated people from the street back into society, by providing them with the opportunity to gain skills either front of house or in the kitchen. We had a lovely meal. The restaurant has nice simple decor, and there is a lovely little terrace. It felt good to support this type of concern that is trying to make a difference.
    Read more