Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 36

    Torre dos Clérigos

    October 9, 2019 in Portugal ⋅ ☀️ 20 °C

    We decided we were up to the 225 stair climb to the top of this monument, as we would be rewarded with 360 degree views of Porto. However, unlike the organised process used to control the tower climb in Coimbra, this was basically a free for all once you got through the last barrier. The spiral staircase was narrow, and half way up narrowed further. When we got to the top and made it outside onto the viewing area most people were polite and waited and went in one direction, but as always there was one or two who didn’t, which caused congestion and drama for everyone.

    Once we had viewed Porto from all directions, we started our descent. We got about half way down when we encountered a number of people coming up. We decided to stop and let them all pass, but this incredibly rude Russian couple and their kid just pushed their way through. I made it blatantly clear to them that this was not good - told them they were rude and selfish, and I am sure they understood because they wouldn’t look me in the eye. After we let everyone pass and started heading down again, the Russian guy had stopped to do up his shoelace, and so we passed him and then also his wife and kid, who ended up behind us the rest of the way down, unbelievable! I have decided that, in relation to tourists, the Russians and the mainland Chinese are the most rude, aggressive and pushy. I know this is a generalisation, but it has been my experience over a number of years. We still enjoyed the experience, it is just annoying that people are so selfish.
    Read more