Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 8

    Flights of fancy

    September 21, 2022 in France ⋅ ☀️ 19 °C

    After floating above Épernay we headed back to the apartment for a bite to eat. We planned to have a few Champagne tastings (flights) this afternoon, well at least Bronwyn and I did.

    We first did a bit of shopping - we have been well behaved during our stay, only buying Champagne and chocolate so far. We bought a couple of souvenirs before heading to our first tasting at Champagne De La PROPRIETE. Ian joined us and we had six different champagnes; they weren’t too bad and they came with snacks. We then moved onto Janisson Baradon for our next tasting. (Ian elected to skip this tasting and instead went to the Champagne museum.) Here we had five champagnes:- Brut, Extra Brut, Grande Réserve, Blanc de Blancs 2014 and finished with a Brut Rosé. All had fairly low sugar added, which suits my palette.

    During our tasting we starting chatting to a retired Dutch couple on the table next to us. They were really fun and were spending 2 weeks in Champagne. The afternoon flew by and before you knew it Ian was back form the museum. We headed home to have dinner, which comprised of quiche and green beans from our Charcuterie, some yummy bread from the boulangerie (one with chorizo and one with lardons) and macaroons for dessert, all washed down with a bottle of Jean Milan Rosé.

    We had tried to book into a restaurant called Why Not for dinner but they were fully booked, so our makeshift meal in our apartment was a nice alternative. Tomorrow we leave for Lyon, and will be up early as our train to Paris is at 8.30am.
    Read more