Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 18

    Saint-Cirque-Lapopie or bust

    October 1, 2022 in France ⋅ 🌧 13 °C

    We packed up our things following our delicious lunch and headed off to Saint-Cirque-Lapopie, a plus beaux village de France. Our walk was about 4kms and the majority of it was along the river on fairly flat terrain. However, the last 600 metres was a very steep ascent. It was very challenging, especially as the humidity had started to increase. We all made it to the top I am pleased to report.

    We then had some time to wander around this beautiful medieval village, which emerges from the rock 100 metres above the river. Once host to a prosperous river trade, and renowned for its wood-turners, the village has conserved its heritage and retained an irresistible charm. As of the late 19th and early 20th century, it attracted artists belonging to the Surrealist Movement. It still has this artistic dimension as you explore the narrow streets. French poet and writer André Breton, who bought a house in the village, put Saint-Cirque-Lapopie on the map in a big way. He said: “Here, I’ve ceased wishing myself elsewhere”. You can easily see why.

    After our visit, we had to climb even higher to rendezvous with Julien who took us back to Cahors in the bus.
    Read more