Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 33

    A visit to Beaux Arts, Brussels

    October 16, 2022 in Belgium ⋅ ⛅ 14 °C

    We had purchased tickets for the museum to enter at 11am. We specifically wanted to see the homage to Frida Kahlo - Miranda’s de Mujeres that was created by artist Isabelle de Borchgrave.

    Frida Kahlo (1907 - 1954) is even more topical today than during her whole lifetime. The life of this female artist was marked by creativity and resilience. She has become one of today’s artistic icons.

    Her paintings convey a dazzling joy through colours that Isabelle de Borchgrave, for whom painting is an everyday celebration, was unable to resist. This project entirely made out of paper was born in Mexico, in Kahlo’s Casa Azul (Blue House): it is the reconstruction of a universe devoted to pure colour, revealing the shadow of an absent presence. Here Frida Kahlo revives only by the feeling with which we dress her.

    The happiness found in colour and paper (at least four kilometres of paper was used to produce this exhibition) epitomises the life and dreams of Isabelle de Bourchgrave. The hope is that this happiness shall be contagious for all those who visit the exhibit. It definitely was for me. The photos in this post hopefully represent the colour and vibrancy of the exhibition.
    Read more