Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 45

    Friday afternoon wandering

    October 28, 2022 in Denmark ⋅ ⛅ 14 °C

    After the cruise we decided to return to Segall’s for lunch, obviously this is a favourite of ours as this is our third lunch there. This time I had the Croque Madame, which I can say is very good indeed, however, I still prefer the Segall Club sandwich. After lunch Brigitte decided to head back to the apartment as she had a very interrupted nights sleep due to the noisey patrons from the bar across the road from our apartment.

    I decided to walk to the Little Mermaid to try and get a better shot than was possible from the boat tour. I walked along Larsen Plads, which was a lovely walk along the harbour. Even though there were many people at the Little Mermaid, I was still able to get a couple of good shots. The Little Mermaid was made by Edward Eriksen and erected in 1913. It was a gift from the Danish brewer Carl Jacobsen to the City of Copenhagen. The sculpture is made of bronze and granite and was inspired by Hans Christian Andersen’s fairytale about a mermaid who gives up everything to be united with a young, handsome prince on land. Every morning and evening she swims to the surface from the bottom of the sea and, perched on her rock in the water, she stares longingly towards the shore hoping to catch a glimpse of her beloved prince. Carl Jacobsen fell in love with the character after watching a ballet performance based on the fairy tale at the Royal Danish Theatre. The brewer was so captivated by both the fairy tale and the ballet that he commissioned the sculptor Edward Eriksen to create a sculpture of the mermaid, Erikse’s wife Eline, posed for the statue.

    To be honest, the mermaid is a little underwhelming, but still worth seeing. On the way back to the apartment I passed Gefion Fountain, St Albans Church, the Zinc Global Sculpture, Fredericks Church where there was a wedding underway and many other beautiful buildings and sculptures.
    Read more