Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 58

    Delightful Delft

    November 10, 2022 in the Netherlands ⋅ ⛅ 12 °C

    On the advice of the receptionist we headed towards the centre of Delft as there is a market every Thursday of food and other stuff! It was about a 10 minute stroll into the Centrum. We passed so many beautiful houses and canals, the place has a real “fairytale” feel about it. There is a beautifully maintained city hall and a number of churches scattered about as well. In the marketplace we came upon a lovely store where they hand paint most of their products. I bought a couple of beautiful Christmas decorations and a small vase.

    After our retail therapy session we wandered around the market a bit, but decided we needed to find a restaurant for lunch as we both were feeling hungry after our early start and small breakfast. We found a lovely place called Het Konings Huys (House of the King) where Brigitte had a steak and chips and I had fish and chips with salad and we had a lovely bottle of Malbec with the meal.

    After lunch we wandered around the market a bit more, I got some delicious liquorice and then we went to a cheese man where we were able to try some delicious cheeses. Brigitte ended up buying over 3 kilos of cheese and it is all absolutely delicious. The other food item Brigitte gets from Holland is their strope waffles which are a couple of flat waffles with sugar syrup in the middle, very nice but need to eat in moderation.

    There was a very talented busker performing at the market, he had a wonderful voice, I could have stayed and listened to him for ever. We continued wandering around the lovely narrow streets, crossing over quaint bridges and enjoying the sites. Our last stop was at De Candelaar & De Blauwe Tulp Pottery where I bought a pendant and met the artist who painted it.

    We then headed back to the hotel to have a bit of down time.
    Read more