Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 20

    Galería de las Colecciones Reales

    October 3, 2023 in Spain ⋅ ☀️ 30 °C

    We firstly tried to buy tickets online but this was very difficult as the English website is still under construction. We had a go and I am now a member of the Patrimonio Nacional Espanol, but still no tickets. So, we did the old fashioned thing and walked into the Gallery and purchased tickets at the counter! Bueno.

    The Royal Collections Gallery takes you on a journey through five centuries of art and culture in an absolutely remarkable building. It was designed by Tunón and Mansilla and has received ten architecture awards. The design is simple and understated but on a huge scale. The Gallery is built into the side of a hill and you begin on level 0 and head downwards along huge ramps to the different galleries.

    There are three levels to visit. Level -1 is dedicated to the Hapsburgs. It starts with the last of the Trastámara dynasty, showing how the Catholic Monarchs began the custom of royal collecting. One of the most memorable Hapsburg reigns was that of Philip II, a great patron of the arts who launched many ambitious projects, including the iconic site of El Escorial. Included on this level are the remnants of the ninth-century city wall.

    Level -2 is dedicated to the Bourbons and explores themes such as music, royal factories and workshops. It also shows the construction of the royal palaces of Madrid and La Granja. There is also an explanation of Patrimonio Nacional’s role as custodian of this vast cultural legacy.

    Level -3 is designed as a more interactive and dynamic exhibition space. The Cube is a room that immerses you in an audio and visual experience taking you through several architectural and natural spaces managed by Patrimonio Nacional. Finally, there is a temporary exhibition gallery that currently is exhibiting royal carriages and a couple of Mercedes Benz cars made especially for the Royal family.
    Read more