Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 27

    Segovia orientation walk

    October 10, 2023 in Spain ⋅ ☀️ 14 °C

    This morning Gabriele took us an orientation walk across the old city. We revisited the aqueduct and then started to wander up the narrow streets towards the centre of the old town. We looked at the architecture of Segovia, saw the Moorish influences and passed through the Jewish quarter, making our way to Plaza Mayor and the Cathedral of Segovia, which is very impressive.

    We passed through the old gates of the city and made our way to the Alcazar (or Royal Palace) which is in amazing condition. As we did a tour of the Alcazar and climbed the tower after our orientation walk, there will be a separate entry to follow.

    We stopped for refreshments and sat on a lovely terrace at the visitor centre next to the Alcazar. I went to get Ian and I a cold drink and noticed some ‘pastries’, so I ordered a couple of them. Turns out I ordered Torreznos, which are Iberico Spanish Pork Scratchings - they were absolutely delicious but obviously more salty than sweet!

    After our drinks break we wandered along the city walls a bit to the Puerta de San Andrés, where the walk ended. Some of us headed back to the Alcazar for a visit, then enjoyed lunch on a lovely terrace with umbrellas at a restaurant near the Puerta de San Andrés.
    Read more