Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 29

    Wine Tasting at Mazas

    October 12, 2023 in Spain ⋅ ☀️ 20 °C

    We met back up with the bus driver at noon to head off for a wine tasting. Our host was the winemaker and owner of Mazas, Maria. Maria was a very engaging host who had spent quite a few years in Australia working for a range of wineries.

    Maria is an independent winemaker and so her operation is quite small. She first took us to an old building where the wine is produced. They had just completed the harvest and so the tanks were full of grapes going through the fermentation process.

    We then returned to the main building, which is the finishing, bottling and sales area, where we first tasted a range of wines straight from the tanks/barrels followed by several wines from bottles. I think we tried 8 wines all up. Maria’s husband Luis provided a delicious spread to accompany the tastings. We had 3 types of empanadas, cheese pastries, small rolls and chips. It was one of the best tastings I have done. Maria and Luis are very generous people.

    Maria’s passion for winemaking is great and she was able to provide us with so much information about the different varietals she uses and generally about winemaking in the region. I really enjoyed her wines and, the good news is, they are available in Australia. She will be coming to Melbourne in November to do some promotions.

    Straight from the barrel we tried a white, a rosé and two reds. We then had a Verdejo, a Rosado, a Garnacha Tinto and a Robles. My favourites were the Verdejo and the Robles.
    Read more