Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 29

    Zamora

    October 12, 2023 in Spain ⋅ ☀️ 27 °C

    After our fabulous wine tasting we got back on the bus and headed for the town of Zamora. Zamora is situated in Castile and Leon and has the highest concentration of Romanesque art and architecture in Europe. It is, therefore, referred to as the city of Romanesque. There are 14 Romanesque churches in the old town, a large Cathedral, a castle, medieval ramparts, a Roman bridge and two palaces.

    Through the province of Zamora passes the via de la plata (silver way), an old Roman route that connects Seville to Gijón and has traditionally been used as a southern route of the Way of St. James by pilgrims on their way to Santiago de Compostela. This route is growing in popularity.

    We walked into town by crossing a pedestrian bridge over the Duero river. Zamora is a beautiful town that is extremely clean and well maintained. We walked up through the narrow streets to the Plaza Mayor de Zamora. The town was full of people taking advantage of the public holiday. We found a place in the shade to have a cold drink and rest for a bit before exploring the city. Some of us also had an ice-cream as it was the perfect weather for it.

    We then walked through the town taking in all the sites. We went back down to the river where we could see the Roman Water Mill up close. It was a lovely afternoon, although a tad too warm for me. The bus picked us about about 5pm and we then had an hours drive to Fermoselle, our home for the next 3 nights.
    Read more